USA Customs Clearance Logo
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in posts
Search in pages

Importing Food Into the US: What You Need to Know

April 27, 2020
Kurt Schultheis
Importing food into the U.S. is simple if you have a customs plan. You need customs bonds when you are importing FDA approved food into the U.S.
Share This Article
copy-link-to-clipboard Copy URL to Clipboard

United States consumers crave a variety of food from all over the world. Pull up a chair and grab a plate as we walk you through the ins and outs of importing food into the U.S.

You need customs bonds when you are importing food into the U.S. As America has become more diverse over the decades, importers are responsible for meeting food cravings by importing food into the U.S. on a daily basis.

The Basics of Food Imports

A huge number of pounds of vegetables, organic product, herbs and other food import products enter the U.S. from different nations consistently. That food is reviewed completely before it crosses any borders. Examinations are taken care of by CBP Agriculture Specialists at ports of entry. Farming Specialists ensure the food coming into the nation’s ports are free of plant bugs and pests. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife is in charge of examining foods imported into the United States.

Food Compliance Issues Can Arise

Here's where you could lose cash if controls are not taken to inspect food properly. The FDA will keep shipments of food imports that aren't in compliance with U.S. laws. Food imports that do not meet requirements are flagged to be demolished. These food imports are discarded to prevent the spread of vermin and infections. Horticulture Specialists supervise the elimination of rejected food imports

Make sense of getting foods over the border and into the U.S. with import customs consulting. Meet with an Import Expert or Licensed Customs Broker today! 

Importing Dairy Products into US

Dairy products are inspected by the Department of Agriculture. Do you know the regulations for importing dairy? Utilize the following tips for importing dairy food into the U.S.:

Milk and Cream Require Permit by the FDA

Did you know that both cream and milk require a permit from the FDA? The country of origin must be printed on the wrapper or placed on the outside of the milk or cream carton.

Milk from Goats Have Other Restrictions

Are you importing milk or cream made from goat’s milk? Be prepared to have a USDA permit handy from any/all regions that are affiliated with foot-and-mouth disease (FMD). The same goes for Rinderpest disease.

The first step in importing foods to the U.S. is getting the right customs bond. We make it easy to get the bond you need.

Importing Fruits and Nuts

Fruits Come from All Over

Mexico and Costa Rica are top exporters to America

Learning how to import fruits to USA borders takes some time to learn. Nuts and fruits are more popular than you think. Many of them don’t grow here in the United States. It doesn’t matter how tiny the nuts and fruits are. They all require the necessary import documentation to become US food imports.

Mexico and Costa Rica are the top exporters of fruits to American shores. Fresh fruit, though, comes from all over, including Canada, Chile and Peru as well as others. The most popular imported fruits include:

  • Bananas
  • Avocados
  • Pineapples
  • Apples
  • Honeydew melons
  • Blueberries
  • Mangos
  • Blueberries
  • Lemons
  • Nectarines

Many fruits cannot be grown in American soil nor can they handle American climates. Countries that have warmer climates with more consistent warmer temperatures are much more suitable for many fruit crops. It’s also more cost-effective to import many fruit items because the labor costs are cheaper in other countries.

Remember that fruit must be free of any visible sign of diseases. Testing of perishable fruit is performed by taking samples of imported fruit. Once laboratory testing from health and FDA safety officials receives a passing grade, the food import customs clearance process can begin in earnest.

Make sense of getting foods over the border and into the U.S. with import customs consulting. Meet with an Import Expert or Licensed Customs Broker today! 

File Notice for Fruits Ahead of Time

Many countries demand prior notice for importing fruits, melons, peel of citrus and more before the arrival of goods can enter the port of entry.

Nutty for Nuts

Countries have different importing requirements for edible fruit and nuts. This includes melons and peels of citrus. Nuts are more versatile and come from more countries around the world. A certificate of origin is needed for all edible fruits and nuts.  In particular, these are the nutty mainstays:

  • South American countries: Brazil nuts
  • Africa: Cashews
  • Africa, India and Vietnam: Spanish pine nuts and Guatemalan macadamias

Food Import Penalization

If any fruit and nut imports do not meet food import process qualifications, those foods can be destroyed or removed from the country. Fines can incur, as well as costs involved with shipping the food imports back to the country of origin. Avoid these issues by hiring a Licensed Customs Brokers to make sure all of your import paper is correct and your American food imports timeline is not delayed.

The first step in importing foods to the U.S. is getting the right customs bond. We make it easy to get the bond you need.

Importing Meat and Poultry into the U.S.

Importing meat and poultry into the U.S. is one way to keep supply chains strong and supermarket shelves stocked. However, it is important to know that there are a few essential rules and regulations to follow.

Guidelines for importing meat and poultry into the U.S. are set by the USDA and FDA. The USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS)  works to ensure that all imported meat, poultry and egg products are safe and properly labeled. FSIS also ensures that imported meat and poultry products meet the same quality standards as U.S.-produced products. 

According to information from the USDA, you can import meat into the U.S. from about 30 different countries. This means you can source meat and poultry imports from around the world. Major sources of beef imported into the U.S. include Australia, Canada, Mexico and New Zealand. Poultry imports can come from about 10 different countries. Top sources of poultry imported into the U.S. include Canada, Mexico and New Zealand.

Steps for Importing Meat and Poultry into the U.S.

The USDA and the FSIS work together to make sure all imported meat is safe and healthy. They’ve put together a handy checklist for importers to make sure meat and poultry can clear customs and make it into the U.S. supply chain. 

According to the checklist, the following conditions must be met when importing meat and poultry into the U.S:

  • Imported products must come from eligible and certified countries.
  • Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS) restricts imports of some meat and poultry products due to animal diseases. Importers need to be sure the meat and poultry they’ve sourced is approved by APHIS.
  • The establishment or country from which you are importing meat and poultry had an approved equivalent determination process to make sure products are the same quality you’d find from a U.S. source
  • Imported products are labeled properly.
  • All customs forms and requirements set by CBP are met and all imported poultry and meat are presented for inspection by FSIS.

It is also important to know that you must file prior notice with the FDA when importing meat and poultry. Notice can be filed as little as 2 hours before arriving at the port of entry when traveling by road. Notice can be filed as little as 4 hours before arrival at the port of entry when imports are traveling by rail or air. Imported meat and poultry requires prior notice as little as 8 hours before arriving by sea.

For even more information on this topic, check out our article on importing meat into the U.S.

How to Import Seafood to USA

US imports billions of seafood each year

The United States imports billions and billions of seafood from all over the world each year, particularly from China. China ships us farm-raised tilapia, shrimp, salmon and catfish directly from their shorelines each year. Other imported seafood includes:

  • Haddock
  • Grouper
  • Whiting fish
  • Red bream
  • Squid
  • Flounder, Atlantic cod
  • Lobster
  • Crab

The FDA ensures your U.S. seafood imports are safe for American consumers. Imported seafood safety measures include:

  • Inspecting filers of seafood imports
  • Inspections of seafood importers
  • Sampling of imported food products
  • Inspection of foreign food processing facilities
  • Assessing country program assessments
  • Reviewing information from all foreign food import partners

What Foods are Imported Into the United States Most Frequently?

So what foods are imported into the US? More than you think. The United States is made up of nationalities from all over the globe so American consumers love importing food into the U.S. Check out our most popular imported food products list from the U.S. Department of Commerce and U.S. Census Bureau below:

The Most Imported Types of Food in U.S. Markets

  • Live meat animals
  • Meats
  • Fish and shellfish
  • Dairy
  • Vegetables
  • Fruits
  • Nuts
  • Coffee, tea and spices
  • Grains
  • Candy and sugar
  • Chocolate and cocoa
  • Beverages
  • Liquor

Another food product that has a high volume of imports into the U.S. is honey. Importing honey to the United States comes with a strict set of rules and guidelines. If you need help importing this multi-use food, our customs brokers are here to help.

Make sense of getting foods over the border and into the U.S. with import customs consulting. Meet with an Import Expert or Licensed Customs Broker today! 

US Food Import Statistics

Fruits vegetables, wine, tree nuts, cut flowers, essential oils and other agricultural imports make up more than 45 percent of U.S. agricultural imports.

The following nine food imports are in highest demand for American consumers because enough of these products can’t be made within the country’s own borders to keep up with demand:

Did you know that 20 percent of the country’s food supply can be broken down into two sections?

  • 70% seafood
  • 35% fresh produce

Top Major Food Importers

Drum roll, please. The major players in the food importing business are:

  • Germany
  • China
  • Japan
  • United Kingdom
  • Netherlands
  • France
  • Italy
  • Canada
  • Belgium
  • Spain

FDA Approved: How Do You Get that Label

FDA Approved. Those two words mean everything in the food business. So, how do you get the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to give you the blessing for that phrase?

Remember that the FDA does not test products or inspect food. Food importers and manufacturers of food must make sure their facilities and plants are registered with the FDA unless they have an exemption that doesn’t require it. Registering to become an FDA facility means your food process and products meet requirements that can lead to customs approval.

FDA Approves Certain Food Additives

In spite of the fact that FDA does not have premarket endorsement of nourishment items, it has the expertise to support certain food additives. Those incorporate additives for coloring and for taste quality.

FDA specialists audit food additives to make sure they are safe and meet certain restrictions.  

Coatings, plastics, paper and types of cement, and additionally colorants, antimicrobials, and cancer prevention agents found in bundling can sometimes find their way into food from additives. The FDA must perform tests to make sure this doesn’t occur and the foods can be sold legally and are safe for consumption.

FDA Approves Color Additives

This incorporates color additives utilized as a part of nourishment and dietary supplements. These shading added substances are subject by law to endorsement by the FDA, and each must be utilized for its proper use. In the endorsement procedure, the FDA assesses wellbeing information to guarantee that shading added substance is approved for its planned purposes.

FDA Endorses Animal Drugs and Food Additives

The FDA is in charge of approving drugs for creatures, including pets, animals, and poultry.

In spite of the fact that FDA does not favor creature food additive, including pet additives, it approves nourishment added substances utilized as a part of these items. The FDA attempts to help guarantee that nourishment for creatures (which incorporates domesticated animals and poultry sustenance, pet sustenance and pet treats) is protected, made under clean conditions, and legitimately named.

The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) requires additive organizations to find a way to keep nourishment from being contaminated. The FSMA makes sure you use sterile procedures, satisfactory sanitation and approved hardware when making additives for creatures.

The first step in importing foods to the U.S. is getting the right customs bond. We make it easy to get the bond you need.

FDA Does Not Support Dietary Supplements.

Dietary supplements are not looked into and endorsed by the FDA in light of their security and viability. Unless a special case applies, dietary supplements that contain another dietary fixing (a dietary fixing not advertised in the United States prior to Oct. 15, 1994) require a warning to the FDA no less than 75 days before showcasing.

The FDA Assesses Food Through Research

The FDA doesn't endorse the food additive name, including the Nutrition Facts board.

The FDA also does not endorse singular additive names before additive items are approved. However, FDA controls require data to show up on most additives, including dietary supplements. Additionally, any cases on food items must not contain false information.

Producers must give the serving size of the additive and determined data about the supplement substance of each serving on the "Nutrition Facts" board of the food.

Abuse of FDA's Logo may Damage Government Law.

The FDA's logo can only be used for food that has been approved for consumer use in the United States.  The FDA’s logo can’t be utilized to distort the office or to propose that the FDA underwrites any food item.  

Top 10 Food Imports Americans Crave

Top 10 food imports americans crave

What is the most imported food in U.S. states that consumers love to eat?

  1. Coffee, spices and cocoa
  2. Fish
  3. Shellfish
  4. Fresh fruits
  5. Fresh juices
  6. Sugar
  7. Wine
  8. Vegetable oils
  9. Fresh vegetables
  10.   Processed vegetables
The first step in importing foods to the U.S. is getting the right customs bond. We make it easy to get the bond you need.

Food Safety Regulations You Must Follow

Importers of food products are responsible for making sure there U.S. food imports are safe, clean and labeled properly according to all FDA and other U.S. requirements.

Food importers can actually import food products into the U.S. without prior approval by the FDA. This can only occur, though, if the food imports are being housed, reviewed and handled in facilities that are registered by the FDA.

The FDA will review food imports when they are ready for inspection at US ports of entry. Both imported and domestic-grown food must meet the same food inspection requirements.

American food imports must also pass the following tests:

Import Program of the FDA

Food imports are increasing 5 percent to 10 percent a year every year. The FDA works vigorously to electronically screen United States food imports being handled through the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Chapter 5 of the FDA Inspections, Compliance, Enforcement and Criminal Investigations Manual will help you plan ahead to pass your food imports inspection.

Prior Notice of Imported Foods

The FDA mandates that all imported food receive prior notification. This notification must be sent before foods reach ports of entry. This allows the FDA and CBP officials to prepare for inspections and secure food supply within U.S. borders.

If the FDA does not receive prior notice of imported foods, your food imports can be refused entry and may be destroyed or sent back to the country of origin.

Prior notice is needed for:

  • Baby formula
  • Animal and pet food
  • Live food
  • Fish and other seafood
  • Dairy
  • Eggs
  • Beverages, including bottled water and alcohol
  • Food additives and supplements
  • Fruits
  • Vegetables

The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act enforces this rule.

Make sense of getting foods over the border and into the U.S. with import customs consulting. Meet with an Import Expert or Licensed Customs Broker today! 

What is the Food Safety Modernization Act?

The Food Safety Modernization Act was created to keep our country’s food supply safe. That’s because every year, more than 45 million Americans suffer from a foodborne illness.

The legislation orders the FDA to oversee a system of food safety oversight. The act does the following:

  • Evaluates hazard operations
  • Implements procedures to decrease food contamination
  • Take actions when necessary to fix food enforcement rules
  • Allows the FDA to perform mandatory food recall procedures
  • Establish standards for safe harvests of fruit and vegetable crops
  • All high-risk facilities receive inspections within five years and follow-up inspections at least every three years
  • Improve training for safety officials

New FDA Safety Rules: The PREDICT SYSTEM

The FDA also started a new system that screens imports called the Predictive Risk-based Evaluation for Dynamic Import Compliance Targeting (PREDICT). This program makes the electronic screening process more efficient by focusing on products that have a higher risk of inspection needs. This makes the inspection process faster.

Foreign Inspections around the Globe

The FDA has ramped up its efforts to inspect your food imports globally. There are more foreign site inspections that work to inspect global food imports and protect the country’s food supply chain. This program is ongoing and growing to handle food imports that are increasing 10 percent a year on average.

Foreign Country Assessments

Foreign country assessments are done regularly to help the FDA become more familiar with how other countries handle food imports. These assessments also help:

  • Target food imports and increase food sampling efficiency
  • Improve analytical methods
  • Make seafood inspections
  • Improve collaboration with other government entities to achieve faster food import compliance

Information Freight Forwarders of Foods Imported into the United States Want You to Know

Cargo forwarders get numerous booking demands for food shipments from everywhere throughout the world into the USA all year long. Importers looking to import food into the United States need to comprehend procedures cargo forwards use every day. Bringing in food is a more confusing process than bringing in different items because of the way that these items are identified with general wellbeing and security measure requirements. .

Foods imported into the United States must meet requirements as food made in the U.S. controls from sustenance created in the USA. The food can’t contain illegal ingredients. Additionally, the naming and bundling is extremely vital. All food bundling and marking must be accurate for customs clearance approval. Mistaken bundling is one reason that your holder can be hailed by U.S. Traditions and Border Protection (CBP) for examination. What does this mean for you? Food imports are not allowed into the U.S.

Bug Control Tips

Bugs and other insects represent a danger to U.S. markets and to the nation's animal/food industry. Imported food with any indication of sickness could affect the nation's domesticated animals, which could:

  • Upset U.S crop production
  • Reduce domesticated animals
  • Prompt expanded expenses for meat and dairy items
  • Cause trees and grass to be wiped out domestically

Fun truth: CBP Agriculture Specialists stop a huge number of remote pests from entering the U.S. every year.

The first step in importing foods to the U.S. is getting the right customs bond. We make it easy to get the bond you need.

File the Proper Import Documents

The key to speedy customs clearance is filing the proper import paperwork. All forms need to be filed in the English language. Lastly, it’s time to make sure you have these important documents in hand for customs agents to review at U.S. ports of entry:

Filing of Prior Notice

Did you know that all food and drink imported projects mandate that a Filing of Prior Notice is registered with the FDA? The best way to handle this, especially for novice importers and distributors of food worldwide, need to register with the FDA before food imports can pass clearance in other countries.

Arrival Notice

Arrival notices are basically goods news announcements. Think of them as modern-day telegrams that let you know when your goods are ready to be picked up at your designated port of entry.

Once you make an appointment to pick up your food imports, your arrival notice will be delivered.

Packing List

Why do they call it a packing list when it’s really a checklist? We don’t know. But you have to have the packing list to clear customs. Freight forwarders and shippers use the packing list to double check that your imports are ready to go. Customs officials also count on this document to check and double check your car imports.

Bill of Lading

Bill of Ladings act as a guarantee for damaged goods

Bill of ladings (BOLs) act as guarantees for lost or damaged goods. BOLs also have numeric tracking codes you can use to watch your freight move from beginning to end.

Commercial Invoice

Commercial invoices contain the following:

  • HTS codes
  • Location where the product was manufactured
  • Buyer and seller information
  • The manufacturer that made the product
  • Destination

Incoterms Make Customs Clearance Possible

The ABCs of importing is as simple as three little letters. Used at home and overseas, these letters known as Incoterms tell a customs agent everything they need to know about your goods transactions. Customs agents utilize Incoterms to speed through the food import process.  

Find a Port of Entry

Ports of entry on the east coast or west coast of the United States can be selected at any time for your food imports with a continuous bond. The location you pick is crucial for food imports that can spoil if they do not reach their final destination in time.

Sign a Power of Attorney

When you sign a power of attorney, Licensed Customs Brokers can:

  • Make importing and exporting transactions for you
  • Endorse your bill of ladings (BOLs)
  • Sign documents and perform clearance work for your imports
  • Act as your authorized customs agent for exporting needs
  • Be your guarantor for required  bonds

Countries around the World Have Different Importing Laws

Foods imported into the United States come from around the world. Remember that every country has its own importing regulations. When you are importing food from other countries, you must follow the rules set forth by customs agents in those countries before you can handle your importing business in America.

Make sense of getting foods over the border and into the U.S. with import customs consulting. Meet with an Import Expert or Licensed Customs Broker today! 

Connect with a Licensed Customs Broker

Licensed Customs Agents help you whiz through the customs clearance process during the food importing process. When you are importing food into the United States, Licensed Customs Brokers handle your food requirements and alleviate any importing restrictions you may come across.

Use a Customs Broker when:

  • Food needs to cross borders fast so it doesn’t spoil.
  • You must meet food crop deadlines.
  • You need to move through the customs clearance pipeline with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) without any problems.

The Customs Bond Type that Works for Your Needs

Were you aware there are a couple of customs bond types available to you as an importer? Use the customs bond type that molds to your business model best for your food imports.

What is a Single Entry Bond?

Single entry bonds are helpful for those seeking to import freight every so often to a US port of entry. Single entry bonds are typically utilized for import shipments that occur less than four times a year and have low-cost value.

What is a Continuous Bond?

Continuous bonds are the best form of action for importers that move shipments with high-cost value throughout the year. US customs continuous bonds work great for importers moving several import shipments around the world every year through multiple ports of entry. Even better? Continuous bonds are renewed automatically so you can focus on your importing tasks.

Purchase a Customs Bond Today

We can help you assess your importing needs and select the customs bond type that works for you. Whether you are importing cars to the USA, importing rice from India, importing other food or more, we can meet your needs. We also offer cargo insurance through our network of supply chain companies. Let us assist you with obtaining additional insurance that protects you and your overseas imports.  

Work with a specialist to make importing  and exporting to the USA a hassle-free process. Get the details you need with our import consulting services.

Utilize a Licensed Customs Brokerage Service

Is the thought of importing food into the U.S.  still overwhelming for you? That’s OK. Contact us today so our Licensed Customs Brokers can walk you through the process of you United States food imports. The importing skills that a Licensed Customs Agent offers make the importing customs clearance process much easier for you.  

AFC International offers a variety of customs brokerage services that work seamlessly to create an importing business model that helps you thrive. We can offer support to you during the import process or handle everything on your behalf. Either way, we're your go-to partner for all of your importing and supply chain needs.

50 comments on “Importing Food Into the US: What You Need to Know”

    1. Hi Fuat,

      Tahini will be subject to FDA regulations. You'll need to ensure that it's being processed in an FDA registered facility and follows all of the relevant guidelines inclcuding labeling requirements and more.

      We've responded privately with additional information to assist you.

  1. Hello,

    I’m trying to gather some basic info on importing jams, pickles, fruit syrup And olive oil from Lebanon. What do I need to do/know? Thanks !

    1. Hello,

      All imported honey and nuts are required to comply with FDA standards. This includes proper labeling on the goods, as well as providing documentation that the goods were process in an FDA approved facility.

      Our team of Licensed Customs Brokers can assist you in ensuring you have the proper documentation and everything you need to safely import your honey and nuts. Reach out to our team at (855)912-0406 or schedule a consulting session at We look forward to assisting you.

  2. Hello we are a startup at UC Berkeley looking to import dehydrated insects (Black Soldier Fly Larvae) from either Europe or Singapore/Malasya. The end use is to make dehydrated pet food. Could you guide us about the steps that we eventually have to take?
    Thank you very much!

    1. Hi Adolfo,

      Thank you for reaching out to our team. There are a number of steps you're going to need to take. Your import will need to include proper paperwork through the Fish and Wildlife Service. If you end up importing from Singapore and want to take advantage of the free trade agreement with the U.S., there will be additional paperwork to complete as well. This is all in addition to standard import procedures, including securing your import with a customs bond, that need to be followed.

      Our team is more than happy to assist you with all of this. You can reach out to our Licensed Brokers at (855)912-0406 or schedule a consulting session at We look forward to working with you and helping you bring your insects into the U.S.

  3. We want to export from Mexico ready to eat meals, with deferments flavors. All this meals have meat from beef, chicken and pork. What I have to do??

  4. I would like to know the requirements of the United States to allow for the import of raw, un-pasteurized citrus juice from Costa Rica.

    1. Hi Matt, thank you for your question. Importing citrus fruit into the United States is regulated by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA) and US Customs. We can help you with understanding the process and obtaining the information that is needed. Through our consultation services, we will explain what the requirements are, if permits and registrations are required as well as the US Customs requirements. We know it can be confusing, especially for first time importers which is why we created this program - It's a perfect place to start. Our fee is $99 for a 30 minute consultation. You can click on the following link to register, then we'll contact you directly and talk through the process with you. Please let us know if you have questions or if there is anything further we can help with. We are a full service supply chain solution company so we can help you with shipping door to door, delivery, customs brokerage and warehousing. We are here to help.

  5. I am in Australia. I have a friend in the USA who has asked me to send him one packet of chicken salt for his personal use.

    1. Hello, for personal shipments you are not required to work with a customs broker and I don't see any issues with shipping this commodity to the US. Is there a specific question that you have for us that we can answer? Thank you, Jonathan Heiland

  6. I want to import Lanzones from Thailand to USA, with a high volume of it
    Tell me what I have to do since I have a continuous service Bond?

  7. Just wondering if you know if an ingredient deck is required for Food Samples being shipped into the US. Prior notice and all paperwork is done, a sample of a product would be shipped to a customer, who would have a digital specification of what they are recieving, but does a copy need to be included in the shipment?

    1. Thanks for your interest in USA Customs Clearance powered by AFC International. We are a licensed Customs Broker based out of Atlanta, Ga.

  8. I am thinking on importing tortilla chips from Mexico. Can you help me out with a list of all the things I need to do?

  9. I am completing my visit with family in Italy. They want to give me two bottles of homemade wine,a jar of homemade sauce and a 4 pound brick of cheese, Can I pack these in my checked baggage a d bring them to my home in N Y.

  10. I wish to import Ramen from Japan to US but some Ramen packs contain meat products. What is the procedure so that I don't incur any problems with my order?

    1. Hi Kayonda, if you email us at, we can help you with the process.

  11. Thanks guys that’s helping me so much. I’m planing for import 10 kg weekly of traditional sweets like baklava and mignardises ( just made by nuts and sugar I mean no eggs or milk ) and this from Tunisia to USA.
    The question is what should I proceed ? Mayo contact fda and make a registration and asking for a prior notice.? Honestly I’m confused.

    1. Great, we are happy the information is helpful. If you need additional information, please email us at

  12. What is required from a manufacturer in Mexico to us to import to the US? Does this manufacture have to be HACCP or IS22000 approve. Looking to import shelf stable bakery fillings in large packaging format.

    1. Hi Rick! We'd be happy to help with your import into the US. For importing food, you'll be to meet FDA requirements in addition to Customs requirements. You're in luck, we can help you with that! One of our customs experts will be in touch shortly at the email address you provided!

    1. You'll need to register your import with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) first and if you're importing for business, you'll need a customs bond. You can buy a customs bond right on our website, You can also come back and chat with one of our import experts by clicking on the chat bubble in the bottom right corner of the page.

    1. The next steps would depend if you're importing the berries for personal or commercial purposes and the volume of berries you plan to import. We offer consulting services and can walk you through the steps and paperwork you'd need to file. You can chat with us by clicking the chat button in the bottom right corner of the page and one of our import specialists will be happy to help.

  13. Do I have to incorp a company in US to be an importer to import food to US?
    As an importer, do I need FDA registration no. to import the food? Or do I make sure the manufacturing facility has a valid FDA number as fine?

    1. Thanks for reaching out with your question. The import of Mangosteen from Thailand was illegal in the US until 2007 because of concern over importation of fruit flies. While it is now legal to import the fruit, before you ship, it must be irradiated to make sure there are no fruit flies present. Documentation of this process must be presented before fruit will be allowed into the US. Here is a helpful link with some FAQs about what is needed. When you're ready to purchase a bond, we can help. You can buy it easily right through our website, or you can chat with us for more help.

  14. i want to import snacks like potatoe chips, cassava chips, arracacha chips, and plantain chips and trail mixes of nuts, as well. What are the steps knowing that i dont have any company so i have to create one, and what is the spending time or lead time to achive this goal?

    1. The regulations for importing foods like the ones you mentioned are different if you are a business than if you're importing for personal use. When you're ready to start importing for your company, feel free to chat with one of our import specialists by clicking on the bottom right corner of the page and we can help you through the process.

    1. You can use our chat feature in the bottom right corner of the page to speak to one of our import specialists. They will answer any of your questions there. Thank you for reaching out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Article

April 14, 2020
Do You Need an Import License to Import Into the United States?
The U.S. is one of the few countries in the world that does not require an import license. Other cou...
Read More Now
May 15, 2018
What Can Customs Bond Agents Do For You?
The customs bond guarantees that the importer will pay the taxes and duty at the port of entry. On t...
Read More Now
April 25, 2018
What Does a Customs Bond Cover?
A customs bond is a required document that acts as an insurance policy, but what exactly does a cust...
Read More Now
Work with a specialist to make importing  and exporting to the USA a hassle-free process. Get the details you need with our import consulting services.
Go ahead and buy a customs bond today and get your freight on the way around the globe.